Sunday, February 10, 2013

Here we go.

I've been a "roadie" all my life. What started out as a childhood love for riding evolved into a lust for all things bicycles. I concerned myself with Campy components, frame geometries, friction versus indexing. Maybe devolved is the right word.

Like many before me who left Neverland and grew up, my perspective changed along with my experiences. Somewhere along the way, the fellowship of riding with friends  devolved into speed, competition, and gear. Still fun, but different.

Over the last five years, I haven't ridden my bike the way I did in my youth. For a variety of reasons, I lost my Mojo for cycling, only admiring it from a distance. I often use my long work commute (30+ miles each way) as an excuse for why I haven't been riding. It's dark when I leave the house in the morning and it's dark when I get back. Can you hear the violin music?


Vashon Island, September 2012

it's been much too long. I miss riding. I miss the long climbs. I miss the feeling from coasting downhill. I miss the sound of the wind in my ears. I miss waving hello to fellow riders and getting a wave back.

So this is my plan: Just ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment