Sunday, February 17, 2013

Helmets: To wear or not to wear?

I'll be the first to admit that I don't always wear a helmet. I tend to wear one when I'm out for more than a couple of hours, or I leave it at home if I'm just running errands around the neighborhood.

I know there's a variety of reasons why individuals choose to go one way or the other. There's the usual arguments for comfort, vanity, arrogance, and of course, safety. I'm not here to sway anyone one way or the other. As I said, sometimes I wear one. Sometimes I don't.

Laws and ordinances aside, I'm a proponent for individual responsibility. Whether you wear a helmet or not, spend some time to consider how you came to your decision. Be thoughtful and purposeful with your choice. Above all else, be honest with yourself. When all's said and done, you're ultimately responsible for the choices you make (and don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise).


My current brain bucket.
What I'm considering.

In a matter of weeks, I will start using my bike as part of my long commute to work. For better and for worse, my route will take me through some of the busiest and quietest parts of the city. I have no illusions that safety is guaranteed no matter what I do. I don't like the idea of carrying one more item during the part of my commute when I'm not on my bike. But I like the idea of splitting my head open should I get tapped by an Escalade even less.

I have a lot of people who count on me at work. It's important that I make it there in one piece. This isn't just my ego talking; of course the world will spin madly on without me. But wearing a helmet and riding sensibly will improve my odds of enjoying my ride.

Whatever choice you make, may the odds be ever in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment